Under the The Property Occupations Act 2014 all people undertaking the functions of an auctioneer in Queensland must hold a current auctioneers licence.
You do not need to be currently employed in the industry in order to undertake the course.
The auctioneer licence allows you to:
- sell or attempt to sell, or offer for sale or resale, any property by way of auction
- sell by any means during the auction period
- work alone, work with others or be employed by an auctioneer, auctioneer, motor dealer or pastoral house.
Note: You do not need a licence to run a charity auction.
Applying for a licence
- meet the eligibility criteria
- complete the training requirements and attach proof of qualifications
- complete a New licence application
- provide originals or certified copies of your birth certificate, birth extract, passport, Australian citizenship certificate or drivers licence (see below for advice on getting certified copies)
- provide certified, passport-quality photos of yourself
- pay the licence fee (see regulatory body website for current fee)
- pay the criminal history check fee
- lodge the application (see the application form for lodgement details).
Further information on successful application can be found at the Office of Fair Trading website.
Course content and outcome
Successful completion of this course will provide you with the prescribed training requirements needed for application of an auctioneer licence with the Queensland Government.
The following competencies must be completed:
- BSBSMB406 Manage small business finances
- CPPDSM4004A Conduct Auction
- CPPDSM4006A Establish and manage agency trust accounts
- CPPDSM4014A Market property for sale
- CPPDSM4019A Prepare for auction and complete sale
The above units specify the following outcomes:-
- conducting the auction in line with agency practice, ethical standards and legislative requirements
- establish and manage trust accounts in an agency context.
- market all types of property and businesses for sale.
- prepare for an auction and complete the sale of property.
- prepare and conduct a clearing sale or auction of goods, chattels or equipment
The maximum nominal hours to complete the 5 competencies are 155. Students undertaking the course may take approximately 4 to 6 weeks to finish, however, there is no time restriction, students may choose to complete studies sooner or to take longer.
A statement of attainment will be issued to students upon completion of the course.
The NSW Real Estate Training College is a leading provider of training in both the NSW and QLD real estate industry offering flexible online learning where students study in their own time, at their own pace. All course material is accessible via our website ensuring students receive the latest most up to date information.
Training and assessment
There is a combination of assessment tasks that require written responses and include:-
- multiple choice questions
- short answer questions
- and either 1 or 2 of the following:-
- case study
- written demonstration
- workplace project
Assessment is competency based.Competency-based assessment is largely activity-based and practical. However, competence also implies that an individual demonstrates an understanding of the knowledge that is the basis of the practical task being carried out.
Students are assessed according to whether or not they have achieved the performance criteria for each element specified in the units of competency they are undertaking. This method of assessment judges performance against a prescribed standard, not against other students. Students are assessed as 'competent' or 'not yet competent'.
It is the responsibility of the assessor to ensure all aspects of the assessment process are
Assessment is conducted within approximately 48 hours of submission.
Completed assignment may be uploaded onto the website for marking – there is a 8MB upload limited, or emailed or posted to the College.
Legislative and Licensing Requirements
To be eligible for this licence, you must:
- be 18 years or over
- not be affected by bankruptcy action
- not have been convicted of a serious offence anywhere within the last five years, including any of the following criminal activities punishable by three or more years of jail:
- fraud and dishonesty
- drug trafficking
- unlawful stalking
- violence or the threat of using violence
- any offence of a sexual nature
- not be disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate
- not be recorded in the register of disqualified company directors under the Corporations Act 2001
- have no criminal involvement in unlawful activities
- have at least one place of business in Queensland
- have completed the required training.
Recognition of prior learning
You may be eligible for recognition of prior learning (RPL). RPL is the formal recognition that your current knowledge and skills meet the requirements of a given unit of competency. It does not matter how you achieved your current level of knowledge and competence – formal training, on-the-job training, self study, work experience, life experience. What does matter is that you are able to provide evidence that your knowledge and competence meet the requirements of a particular unit of competency (competency standard). When you have provided this evidence and it has been accepted as proving your knowledge and skill in a particular area, you will be given credit for a specific competency without having to engage in further study.
For further information, please review the RPL application form located in main menu.
Client support services
If you find you need assistance you are welcome to contact us by email or take advantage of our 24 hour, 7 days a week student phone support. We provide mentoring service and assistance in the areas of language, literacy and numeracy.
Macdonald Education Pty Limited (trading as The NSW Real Estate training College) is committed to protecting the privacy of all of our students. When we handle personal information we act in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
How to enrol
- Create a new account, or log on if you have a username and password
- Submit payment
- Complete an enrolment form (located in the main menu)
Need more information
For further information on the College, programmes offered and College policies, please refer to the ‘Student Handbook’ located in main menu of our website.
Or call us on 02 9987 2322.
Course Cost: $485.00
Create Your Future Register & Enrol Now!